Thursday, April 24, 2008

Looking at the Past


Left North Platte, NE about 9am. It was sunny with some clouds and no wind. Drove through the sandhills area - really fascinating. Need to see where all the sandhills came from. Would go miles and miles without seeing another car or house. My imagination started seeing a small Indian hunting party riding over the crest of the far hill, riding towards the small group of teepees nestled in the trees near the little stream. Then reality snapped me back to the real world. The wind had kicked up, it was beginning to mist and then I hit fog. Thankfully I was only about 8 miles from Valentine where I was planning on staying at the Valentine Motel/RV park. I stopped for gas ($3.57) out in the middle of nowhere. While there I telephoned the motel and finally got through only to find out they had a fire and weren't open. They told me about the Wacky West Passport American park across the street. As you can see from the pictures, its no resort but the sites are level. There is a cattle auction directly behind the park and you can hear the loudspeaker quite well. The dogs LOVE the aroma - I'm keeping the windows shut. Right now it 44 degrees outside and they're saying we might get snow/rain tonight. I plan on staying here till the sun shines which might not be until Sunday. Well, gonna go take a nap with the dogs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home