Friday, May 16, 2008

Drove to Bill, Wyoming






The sun finally came out but the wind is still blowing. I decided to drive to the Pioneer Cemetary then on to Bill, Wyoming. Why Bill? Because if seemed to be the nearest town to where I was on Highway 59. I'm beginning to understand why people refer to all this wide open space as Big Sky country. If your trip odemeter wasn't turning regularly you'd swear you weren't moving at all. The scenery (?) is the same for mile after mile. The cemetary was interesting but rather sparsely populated with headstones. From the depressions in the ground I suspect there are a lot more people than headstones. It always strikes me in these old cemetaries how young people died and how many young children are buried there. Except for dandelions I haven't seen any wild flowers blooming out here but at the cemetary, there were large patches of tiny purple iris' growing around the headstones. The most interesting part of the cemetary were the wrought iron fences around some of the plots.

Left the cemetary and drove 35 miles on to Bill, Wyoming. Didn't blink so I actually found Bill which consists of an old store, a bar and a brand new motel and "Peggy's Diner". The picture of the snow shovel and "no spitting" sign is as you leave Peggy's. Ordered coffee and asked the waitress why there was a brand new motel and diner out in the middle of absolutely no where. Its for the railroaders around there. Did I mention that you see more trains on the drive to Bill than you do vehicles? And why is it that only one out of three oil wells are pumping? If one is pumping there must still be oil so why are the other two shut down?

Enjoy the pictures and leave me some comments if anyone is actually reading my ramblings.

2 Comments:

Blogger Olive Oil said...

Karen--- I have been reading your blog & enjoy it very much------I love the pictures you share!
We have three oil wells in our pasture next to our house & it would take tooo long to explain-but they don't all pump at the same time------& are on timers as to when they do pump!
Glad it is warming up where you are------finally warming up here in Kansas also------but yes the wind does always blow here also!
later- Olive Oil

1:43 PM  
Blogger Cedar ... said...

Hi karen,... yep,.. I'm reading your "ramblings!" I check for new entries every morning. I always enjoy reading of your travels and your "take" on the places you visit. Keep 'em coming!

Cedar

3:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home