Saturday, August 30, 2008

Pow Wow in Bandera, Texas






My daughter Melissa and I went to a Pow Wow in Bandera today. Friends of ours, Diane and Dennis Eagle Horse are coordinating it. They have three boys, two are twins, that dance. I met the Eagle Horses in Delores Colorado at the Ute Mountain RV Park. I was having problems getting my rig level and Dennis came over to see if he could help. He saw my plates and asked where I was from. I told him a little town in Texas called Kerrville. He started laughing and said they were from a little town called Ingram which is almost a part of Kerrville. The one photo is of TaCha, Dennis' son with my daughter. The next photo is of Dennis leading the color guard for the Grand Entry. Love the little guys that start dancing so young. It never ceases to amaze me after how the Indians have been treated, how patriotic they are. They always start their Pow Wows with the Grand Entry of the flag and an invitation to ALL veterans to join in the Grand Entry. I understand there is only one Codetalker left alive. There is a great museum in Window Rock, AZ with one entire wing devoted to the Codetalkers.

After the Pow Wow we went to the 11th Street Bar for a cold beer. This bar is world famous - a gathering place of cowboys, bikers, tourists and a whole lot of characters. Note the unique decor in the bar and the horses and bikes parked outside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home